Saturday, September 11, 2010

Nine Years Ago Today

I looked about like this.
When people ask, “what did you think when on 9/11?” Normally and I hate to say it like this, but it was all a blur and I had some much on my plate already that I really did not let it affect me as much as it did others. I remember thinking “I can not believe I am about to bring a baby into a world like this.”

I was scheduled to be induced on September 12, 2001. I had started maternity leave the day before, so me and all my hugeness (pic above) were fast asleep when my mother swung open my bedroom door and screamed “wake-up! They are blowing up the world!” My response, “haha mom…leave me alone.” Then I noticed she was crying.

As I sat down in the living room the first tower fell and, as you know, it was live for everyone to see. We had no idea what it was, but when it hit me it hit me. Just as you and almost everyone else who were miles away viewing this on televisions I felt helpless and scared.  I just remember being planted on that sofa the rest of the day. I remember being thankful that my mother wasn’t traveling that day.

That day has affected me maybe not a much as most due to the events that occurred after that day, but it has changed us all in some way. I know when I look at Shelby and remember see a program about all the 9/11 babies I think about all the fathers that were lost that day and how their children are about the same age as Shelby is now. I think about a girl I went to high school with that lost her fiancé in the plane that hit the pentagon and I can’t imagine the heart wrenching pain she had that day. I am thankful that I lost no one in that tragic event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. I love hearing from you, please leave comments below!