Monday, August 24, 2015

Believe Moms When They Say




Today I sent this young lady off to her first day in High School, then I sat on my stairs and cried. It all happened so fast, just the other day she was starting kindergarten with her little uniform on (picture below), now she is headed into her last four years of school. 

Believe moms when they say time flies.

I always heard, “enjoy this while you can because pretty soon she will be (insert a scary phase of life).” I didn’t really believe it, I know that time passes and I should have known how quickly since it feels like I just graduated from high school the other day. To be honest I have been in denial and really don’t think it truly hit me until she jumped in her friend’s car and left. At that point the tears just did not stop. 

Bekah wandered down stairs and sat beside me. I hugged her and said, “don’t grow up Bekah, stay with mommy forever.” To which she responded, “I am growing up, momma! I am big and I am going to school with Shelby.” 

My fellow moms of toddlers: cherish those babies, take an extra minute for a hug or an hour to read more books. Because before you know it they will be off to brave, the sometimes cruel, world of High School, then college. Then, if you are so fortunate, you will get to read books to a new generation - grandchildren. I have heard it is a pretty sweet deal. Just about all the perks of parenting except less diaper duty and more sleep. 

I found this awhile back and thought what I great way to start the school year, praying for your kids. 



Now, if you are anything like me, you probably won’t look up the verses (because aren’t we are just busy!), so I have given them to you:

S - Self Control: 1 Peter 5:8 - Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

C - Courage: Joshua 1:9 - Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

H - Help from the Holy Spirit: John 7:38-39a - Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.” By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. 

O - Opportunities to Do Good: Galatians 6:10 - Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

O - Overcome Evil: Romans 12:21 - Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

L - Love God and Others: Matthew 22:37-39 - Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

Of course, a back to school post would not be complete without a little trip down memory lane! 

Kindergarten

First Grade

Second Grade

Third Grade

Fourth Grade

Fifth Grade

Sixth Grade

Seventh Grade

Eighth Grade

Freshman



Now, I if you need me I will be in my closet crying because time will stop moving if I sit in my closet, right?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. I love hearing from you, please leave comments below!