Friday, August 28, 2015

The Loss of Grandpa

Being a Grown-Up Can Suck. Don’t get me wrong there are some perks of growing up like getting married, having you own place (that’s kind of a double edged sword) and having smaller versions of yourself running around. Unfortunately, though, when you get older that means your parents get older too and their parents get older, as well. And really can I  say that all just kind of sucks? 

In my dream world we would all just grow to adults and then we would have long adult relationships with our grandparents (and our parents). In my dream world people do not die. Ha! I sound like I am three, probably because I talk to a three year old all day. 

Yesterday, we were faced with one of those moments that just plain sucks as an adult. I got an emotional phone call from my husband during the early afternoon (man, it can bring you to your knees when the strong leader of your house gets emotional). Matt called to tell me that we had lost his grandfather. 



It’s a death that really is just so unexpected that it has kind of rocked our family, but we are rejoicing because Grandpa knew his Savior and is with Him now. We spent last night together as a family, gathered around pizza, sharing stories of this wonderful man.  And this morning, now that I have actually typed this, and looked again at these pictures, it's become very real. It's just as hard losing him as it was losing my own grandparents - probably because I have lived through the loss before and I know the kick in the gut reality that as we approach birthday season in our house we will be missing our cards from Grandpa. Meh. That just sucks (and I know that's not the greatest word to use while honoring someone's life, but yesterday I learned that I kind of say inappropriate things during grief). 

Please keep our family in your prayers, especially my mother in-law, Diane,  - I can’t even imagine facing the loss of my parents. Also pray for Matt’s aunts, Debbie and Gail, along with Grandpa's grandchildren and his great grandchildren. 

A Great Grandfather and Great Grand Daughter - the first meeting!



My flesh and my heart may fail,
    but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.
Psalm 73:26

My comfort in my suffering is this:
    Your promise preserves my life.
Psalm 119:50




1 comment:

Thank you for reading my blog. I love hearing from you, please leave comments below!