Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Eight Things I Blame on Kathleen Kelly

On this, the first day of Fall let us sit with our pumpkin spice lattes and talk about the eight things I blame on Kathleen Kelly. 

Do you find yourself asking, “Who is Kathleen Kelly?”

Kathleen Kelly is a noted children's author. For many years (beginning when she was six years old) she worked at the Manhattan children's bookstore The Shop Around the Corner, which was founded by her mother Cecilia Kelly. Kathleen inherited the store, and ran it until it closed after 42 years in business, primarily due to competition from a nearby Fox Books Superstore. (Source IMDB)

Now, some of you have already caught on that Kathleen Kelly is one of the main characters in the 1998 film, You’ve Got Mail. She was played by Meg Ryan and co-stared, again, with Tom Hanks (Joe Fox). 

Since my early twenties Kathleen (and/or this movie) has been responsible for many things in my life, here are just eight of the areas where she has changed me:

Number One: Craving Fall

As I am sure you probably know (and will hear until December 1st) I LOVE Fall! It is the best time of the year for me. I love the colors, I love the foods, I love the weather (well, maybe not Houston Fall weather). The opening of this movie tugs at my Fall heart! 

“You’ve got mail. I hear nothing. Not even a sound on the streets of New York, just the beating of my own heart. I have mail. From you.” -shopgirl 



The colors, the clothing, the pumpkins, the bouquet of new-sharpened pencils. I am in LOVE! 

Number Two: Taking Me Back to 18 with One Song

The movie opens, we meet the two main characters and then Dreams by The Cranberries plays.  All my life is changing everyday in every possible way…. I am immediately catapulted back to the living room of my apartment when the 18 year old me would have that song on repeat and sing it at the top of my lungs! This movie actually came out with I was 21 (1998), but everything in the movie pulls me back to three years earlier. (And really I thought it was released in 1995 or 1996)



Number Three: My Fashion Staple, Cardigans

I remember someone asking me in my early twenties, “Do you always wear cardigans?” to which I said, “yep.” Even in the Summer you can find me with a cardigan. Though this fashion staple is seen less while I’ve been living the humid Houston area, my closest still holds an over abundant collection of cardigans.  



Number Four: Craving a Pixie

Can we just take a minute and talk about Meg Ryan’s hair in this movie? 

This hair started my desire for a pixie cut, but unfortunately…my hair is too curly, a bit too frizzy and am just too lazy for a pixie. 



Number Five: Wanting to Live in New York

When I was in my twenties I so wanted to live in New York, mainly because of the Brownstones in this movie. Even though I would probably still love New York in the fall, after visiting New York during a very hot Summer I would have to say that Fall would probably be the only season I would enjoy.



Number Six:  Always Having Bookshelves



I could write an entire blog post on Kathleen Kelly’s apartment, but let us focus our attention away from the quilt covered bed with perfect daisy pillow cases to the book cases. Oh, man I can only imagine the stories that are housed on those shelves. I bet you there is more than one copy of Pride and Prejudice. Which leads me to…

Number Seven: My love for Pride and Prejudice

I love this book. I love the movie made from this book. I love Mr. Darcy. That love all started with this movie. 



Confession, I have read Pride and Prejudice two hundred times. I get lost in the language, words like 'Thither. Mischance. Felicity.' I'm always in agony over wether Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy are really going to get together. Ah! Read it. I know you'll love it! , Kathleen Kelly (quote from movie)



Number Eight: Craving Starbucks

I don’t even think I had my first sip of Starbucks coffee before I saw this movie, my absolute addiction had not started yet, but I knew I was missing something. As soon as the Starbucks opened in my area I was there! 


The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf. Cappuccino." - Joe Fox (quote from movie)


Most of all, though, (I guess this would be number 9) Kathleen Kelly led me to love the movie Shop Around the Corner. That is the movie that You’ve Got Mail was based off of. It’s even more divine and again, my love could encompass an entire blog post. 




I strongly suggest as you are baking your apple pies and carving your pumpkins, take a few hours to watch these two movies: Shop Around the Corner and You’ve Got Mail. 

And always keep this wisdom with you, The Godfather is the I-ching. The Godfather is the sum of all wisdom. The Godfather is the answer to any question. What should I pack for my summer vacation? "Leave the gun, take the cannoli." What day of the week is it? "Maunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday." - Joe Fox (quote from movie)

3 comments:

  1. This is my favorite movie in the whole world. I am never not in the mood to watch it. The quote from #1 makes my heart flip flop every time I hear it. "I wanted it to be you, I wanted it to be you so badly." Ughhhhh does it get any better?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know...I could watch it over and over again!

      Delete
  2. I loved this posting! This movie is THE BEST EVER!!! I have the DVD and the VHS tape (remember those?) of You've Got Mail, and I have watched it a billion and five times on TBS or TNT or some other cable channel. If I had to be stranded on a desert island with a volleyball and a DVD player I would pick this movie hands-down, and I would make sure my volleyball Wilson carried matches. And now if you will excuse me, I am going to hang up some more twinkle lights! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love hearing from you, please leave comments below!